Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Whole Wheat Penne with Chicken and Vegetables

Whole Wheat Pasta with Chicken and Vegetables

This recipe was created by using anything and everything I had in the pantry/refrigerator. Sometimes the best meals can be created that way. Also, because this recipe was created that way, it can be changed so easily. Don't use the veggies you don't like or add others. Change the meat up (Italian turkey sausage would be fantastic) or leave meat out all together. It's always fun to take a recipe and make it your own. You may be starting to notice a trend with me and a rotisserie chicken! I love those things because the chicken is so flavorful and moist and it is so convenient to throw a meal together.

Whole Wheat Pasta with Chicken and Vegetables

Whole Wheat Penne with Chicken and Vegetables

1 pound whole wheat pasta (any shape)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 head of broccoli cut into florets
3 handfuls fresh spinach
2 roasted chicken breasts shredded (I used a rotisserie chicken from HEB)
4 ounces low fat or fat free cream cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente.

Saute onions, garlic and red peppers in a large saute pan until tender. Add chicken broth and scrap up bits. Add broccoli and cook until just tender. Add chicken and spinach to pan and cook until the spinach starts to wilt a bit. Add the cream cheese and stir until it melts. Add cooked pasta to the pan and toss to combine. Top each serving with a little of the grated Parmesan cheese and serve!

1 comment:

  1. We tried this recipe tonight. It was EXCELLENT! We love pasta, but are getting tired of tomato type sauces...and I can't seem to make myself take the calories of a cream sauce. I had to add a bit more chicken broth because I had to buy time 'til J got home, but all in all, it turned out great. I'm excited about this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs