Friday, July 30, 2010

Shaving the Beard

Like I've said many times, our yard is in need of a landscapping overhaul. We pretty much want to change everything except for the big trees. Only we needed to take care of Bearded Tree first. That's what I named him.

Front Yard
this picture is from when the previous owners lived here. 

We realy thought "shaving" Bearded Tree would take maybe 2-3 hours to complete. Remove the "ivy/ground covering." Simple right? At least John's mom was in town.

yard work

Wrong. This project took almost 9 hours. Holy cow people. I started using the hedge trimmers and was easily taking pieces off of the trunk. Easy part.

Then we moved onto the ground. Oh my goodness. This was the thickest stuff ever.

bearded tree

Did I mention that John was sick this weekend? He helped out so much more than he should have. We kept on the project because his mom was in town and she enjoys the yardwork.
bearded tree

So back to the thick stuff. I'm talking about "ivy/ground covering" that has been taking over a poor harmless tree for almost 50 years. It wasn't going to put up an easy fight.
bearded tree

Once we really got into the thick stuff we realized we were tearing down the home to many critters. Critters in the form of HUGE ROACHES. Oh sick.
raoch

And a frog.
frog

I tried thinking about how in the heck he got in there but I have no idea. He was big and this thick stuff was so tight. No clue.

So around 7:30 we decided to call it a day. We had a wonderfully relaxing evening and we were all in bed by 9:30!
yard work

And I woke up Sunday so sore to say the least. Every single muscle in my body hurt.

But we shaved Bearded Tree.
Bearded Tree

But what should we call him now?

2 comments:

  1. The Naked Tree? I loathe yardwork, especially in heat. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! You made a MAJOR improvement! yard work is not fun- I'm proud of you for taking on that project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs