Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hudson's Birth Day

First of all, thank you all so much for all of your sweet comments, tweets, text messages, emails and congratulations! We are so beyond blessed right now and are grateful for our new precious gift.

If you had asked me last Thursday night (which several people did at Bunco) when I thought Hudson would make his appearance into this world I would have bet big bucks that it would be today at the earliest. I was so convinced that he was happy and not planning on going anywhere for a while. So I guess it's a good thing I'm not a gambler!

Friday morning I woke up at 6:00 and thought that I needed to go to the bathroom. I had been up every hour that night going to the bathroom so it wasn't unusual at all. As I turned over in bed I felt a "pop" and immediately thought "this is it" and jumped out of bed because the waterproof mattress protector that we bought on Memorial Day was still in the drawer of my bedside table. Opps.

I went to the bathroom and then to the guest room to get John. He had to move in there in the middle of the night because pregnancy had caused me to start snoring. I turned on the light and said, "John, my water broke!" He jumped out of bed with a huge smile on his face. He was so ready.

As I was standing at the edge of the bed I had the real water breaking experience and had to have a towel between my legs as we got the last minute things for the hospital.

We got to the hospital at 6:30. They took me to a triage room and the nurse who we knew from one of our classes said she didn't want to even bother messing up a room because my water had clearly broken. So they took us straight to our birthday suite (which I labor in, deliver in and recover moving!)


They got me all hooked up and then the waiting started. By 9:00 I started feeling contractions. Not bad at all though.

At 9:40 Dr. J came by to check me and said I was still just a finger tip dilated but his head had come down. He ordered pitocin to start to help things along.

9:50 they started the pitocin and by 11:30 I was really feeling things so I asked for my epidural.


At 11:45 I got the epidural and started to feel relief almost immediately but by 12:20 my blood pressure dropped big time and it caused Hudson's heart rate to drop. Dr. J, the anesthesiologist and several nurses were in the room as they monitored me and Hudson closely. They stopped the pitocin. And threw a pair of scrubs at John and said to be ready for a c-section.

They gave me something to bring up my blood pressure and had me laying on my left side. What they did worked and by 1:15 Hudson and I were doing great.

Dr. J went back to his office and the nurses continued to monitor me and Hudson. They started the pitocin again.


At 2:00 Dr. J called to check in and since I had not made any more progress he said that by 4:00 if I was still at the same spot we were going to do a c-section. Hudson just wasn't coming down like he should and wasn't responding well to the pitocin.


At 4:00 my mom and John's mom both got to the hospital. I was so glad that they got there in time to see me before I went into surgery.



Around 4:30 they started getting me ready for surgery and by 5:00 they took us back to the operating room. They gave me a more concentrated medicine through my epidural and I felt absolutely nothing.

John was incredible. He stayed by my head the whole time encouraging me. We were so anxious to hear our little guy come out and cry his first sweet cry.




At 5:16 Hudson Spencer Woods was born! He was so perfect and had lots of dark hair.

John got to cut the cord and then left with Hudson to show him off to his family that was waiting in the hall. They took him back to our room where he got his first bath, checked out by the pediatrician and weighed and measured while I was getting put back together.

I was out of there by 5:45 and was very out of it. They took me back to our room where our family and a few friends were and I got to hold my sweet boy for the first time.











I was out of there by 5:45 and was very out of it. They took me back to our room where our family and a few friends were and I got to hold my sweet boy for the first time.


I was having some issues after the c-section. I was in a crazy amount of pain and it felt like I was laying on a heating pad even though I wasn't. It took me about an hour before I was feeling okay again.

We spent the rest of the evening loving on our new baby boy and showing him off to family and friends. It was the most amazing day ever and the best birthday present I could have ever asked for!
















  1. Aww thanks for including us in your birthday surprise. We love you guys.

  2. He is beautiful!! I love how big your husband is smiling in all of these pictures :)

  3. I am so excited for yall! Hudson is precious!! Hope your recovery is going well and that you're enjoying being home with your sweet boy!! :)

  4. He is so handsome.. Congrats to you all..

  5. Perfect, perfect, perfect. Congrats to the whole fam!!

  6. We loved being there! Ethan can't wait to play! :)

  7. I just found your blog but I loved reading your birth story and all the big smiles. Your little boy is adorable. Congratulations!!

  8. He is precious!!! I love all the pictures and hope you are having the time of your life with that sweet little boy! Congrats kiddos are a blessing!!

  9. So excited for you guys! He's precious!

  10. Love the pics!! Can't wait to meet him!! :)


Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

Blogger Template By Designer Blogs