Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Telling John He's the Baby Daddy

I found out I was pregnant on October 14th during my lunch break. Actually during the last 15 minutes of my lunch break so there was no way I was going to tell John, "oh hey...I'm going to have your baby. Gotta go!" So that began the longest afternoon of my life.

IMG_0838

John was home that day and outside in the backyard mowing. After I scored well on my test I went outside to say bye to him. We have a large backyard and he was in the back corner of it. I walked all the way out there to tell him bye. He kept telling me I didn't need to walk all the way out there but little did he know he got me pregnant and I just had to hug him.

So here's what went down. That afternoon I went by the bookstore and picked up a book. I knew I wanted to tell him in a special way and not just say it. I also didn't have much time to plan anything. I didn't know what I was looking for, just something that sort of spit it out and made it very clear what I was trying to tell him. I bought 2 books that day. One for me and one for him. I got "What to Expect When Your Expecting." Duh. And I got him, "So You're Going to Be a Dad." I thought that was pretty point blank.

I spent the rest of the day in a meeting at work and I kept laughing (when I was in the car and alone, not the freak who laughs around others randomly). In the car I kept saying out loud, "I'm pregnant!" It felt so weird to say.

I got home from work and he was already home. Oh by the way, I was hosting Bunco that night so I had to wait even longer to tell him. We began doing last minute things for Bunco that night and finishing up the meal. I was in the kitchen with him for over an hour with this secret inside! It was killing me. But again, I didn't want to say, "oh hey...I'm going to have your baby. Now leave!"

So everyone showed up for Bunco and I was so nervous. I don't know why but for some reason those first few weeks I was so afraid I would have a Freudian slip and spill the beans. I didn't thankfully.

After everyone was gone and John was back home he was sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner. I told him I left something out in my car so I was going to go get it. I think he was probably half listening so no questions. I came in and sat down with the book "wrapped" in the shopping bag it came in. Remember, I didn't have a lot of time that day.

So I told him that I got him a little, 'the house is pretty much done' present and he goes on and on about all the things left to do. I told him to shut up and just open it.

He opens it and sees the title. It takes a minute...here's what happened.

John: "wait what? what? ARE YOU PREGNANT?"

Me: "YES!!!!"

John: "shut up! Oh my gosh!!!" (HUGE smile on his face at this point)

Then we both stand up and hug and laugh and a few tears were shed.

IMG_6718

The night continues with laughing and I showed him the positive test. It was an amazing time!

IMG_6719

Next up...telling our families and friends.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! So a summer baby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! What an exciting time! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I think that was plenty creative! I just walked into the bedroom in my underwear and said, "I'm pregnant." at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs