Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Apple Grilled Cheese

Apple Grilled Cheese

I asked John tonight (as we were eating this sandwich for the 4th time in 2 weeks...so not like us) if he would rather eat this or The Ultimate BLT. He said he would eat one of each.

This is from the Clean Eating magazine and it is AMAZING. The sweet apple slices add so much to the sandwich and are a perfect pair with the cheddar. Then the coarse grain mustard gives the whole thing a kick that makes this the best sandwich. Serve with a yummy bowl of vegetable soup and this is a perfect, quick weeknight meal.

This recipe makes 2 sandwiches but you can easily double it for 4.

Apple Grilled Cheese
adapted from Clean Eating Magazine

4 slices whole grain bread
1 teaspoon olive oil
whole grain dijon mustard
2 ounces low fat cheddar cheese, finely grated
granny smith apple (I used honey crisp) very thinly sliced

Brush one side of each piece of bread with the olive oil. Turn bread over and spread mustard on each side.

Arrange 1/2 of the cheese on one slice then layer of apples and then the remaining cheese. Top with the other slice of bread, oil side up.

Heat griddle or grill pan over medium low heat. Place sandwiches in pan and cook until light golden brown on bottom. Flip and continue to cook until cheese has melted.

Calories 220
Fat 7g
Carbs 27g
Fiber 4g
Sugar 6g
Protein 14g
Sodium 450mg
Cholesterol 5mg

3 comments:

  1. I don't even care for grilled cheese but this looks fabulous! I will be making it stat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love apples and cheese! I'm so trying this with some soup soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just caught up on the cooking blog and I can't wait to meal plan for next week! I will use at least 4 of your new recipes:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs