Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gingerbread People

I received an early Christmas present from my mother in law this year and it was this precious Gingerbread People Cakelets pan from Williams-Sonoma. These little guys are so precious.

*I'm calling them People to be gender inclusive. Girls wear pants too and because they aren't decorated you can't even tell. That's about as "political" as I will get on this blog. :)

Even if you don't have this pan, use this recipe and make cupcakes. It's very good!Gingerbread Men
When I made them I simply sprinkled them with powdered sugar because I didn't want to take the time to decorate. I was making many things that day and wanted something quick. But I can't wait until next year when I can make them again and create little people. Oh it will be cute! And the recipe I used was the recipe that came with the pan. It was SO GOOD. I don't think I will be trying another.

Gingerbread Men

Gingerbread
adapted from Williams-Sonoma

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the wells of the cakelet pan very well.

Over a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and beat until the mixture is pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat in the molasses.

Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour. Beat just until combined.

Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter into each of the wells. Use a toothpick to spread the batter into the arms, legs and head. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 10-12 minutes.

Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Invert the cakelets onto the rack and let cool completely. Continue baking the rest of the batter and decorate as desired.

*I had trouble with my cakelets just "falling" out of the pan on their own. I sort of had to pull them out carefully. The original recipe called to grease and flour the pan, but I found that just greasing very well worked best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs