Friday, April 29, 2011

Bed Rest

*Don't miss my baby shower recap below this post!*

A little update on me and Hudson. First of all...I'm 33 weeks today! I can't believe I am 4 weeks from being full term! Craziness!!!

So back to what happened this week...Tuesday we had just a regular appointment with my doctor.

Let me sidetrack here and say that we LOVE my doctor. When we moved here almost 2 years ago I asked several people who I should see and so many said, if you can get in with Dr. J you should...he's the best. So I call and am able to get in so easily. I had one appointment with him (my annual) about 6 months before I got pregnant so I really didn't know him too well, but still trusted him completely. He has been an amazing doctor and has been doing this for 40 years. He is unfortunately "retiring" 2 weeks after my due date! I say "retiring" because he and his wife are moving to be closer to grandkids and he will still work part time just delivering babies...his favorite part. I am so disappointed but I'm also happy for him.

Anyway, the appointment was normal. I was a little anxious about getting my blood pressure checked because I had gotten so swollen. My blood pressure has been perfect my whole pregnancy but the extra swelling had me nervous. My blood pressure was good but I had gained almost 9 pounds in 3 weeks. Ugh!

So when Dr. J came in he commented on the 9 pounds in 3 weeks and asked if anything was going on or if I had any questions. I mentioned the swelling and he looked at my feet, ankles and the legs he could see by pulling up my jeans and his exact words...

"Wow, that's impressive! In my 40 years of doing this I've never seen anything like that."

He then followed up by saying that I get to stay in the hospital for 24 hours. I shed a few tears mostly because I'm pregnant and hormonal but also a little nervous. He said he wasn't concerned because my blood pressure was good but the swelling and 9 pounds gained (of water retention) were enough for him to want to run some tests.

I was also upset because I knew John had a busy day (Tuesdays are so busy for him as he prepares for Wednesdays) and knew that 24 hours in the hospital meant he would be out of the office for 2 of his busiest days of the week. He was unbelievable and immediately told me that none of that mattered. I called my office and told them I wouldn't be coming back and John made the phone calls he needed to as we drove next door to the hospital.

We checked in and they put me in a triage room where we got to hear Hudson's heartbeat for about an hour nonstop. It was perfect and what I needed under the circumstances. I also had my first about painful!!!

Then it was time to head to our room for the next (what we were hoping would just be) 23 more hours. And that's when I had my first ride in a wheelchair.

We got into our room and we had some friends stop by which was so nice. Then after I got my dinner John went home to pack a bag for us and to take Oliver to a friend's house.

That night we both slept horribly. I was in a hospital bed and was told I could only stay on my left side. Plus the nurse came in every 2 hours to check my vitals so I did not sleep well at all. John slept in a sorry excuse for a pull out bed thing.

We were woken up the next morning by about 6 people when my doctor came through to do rounds.

At that point we still didn't have too many answers. They were worried I might have hypertension but my blood pressure was perfect and the only symptom I had was swelling. None of the others. I also didn't have any protein in my urine.

So we sat around the rest of the day, bored and tired. I was on bed rest so I could only get out of bed to use the restroom. John was able to get some work done so that was good, but he was still restless.

After almost 30 hours in the hospital we were discharged. My doctor ordered me to bed rest at home on my left side (UGH) until Monday. We have an appointment with him then and I'm SO hoping he will say that I can go back to work. I've been on bed rest at home for less than 24 hours and I'd so much rather be at work.

Thankfully, I can still go to my baby shower tomorrow! My mom is coming in town today and we were going to do some fun things to get ready for Hudson but now she is planning on just hanging out with me since I have to stay on my left side. Not as fun but still so excited to see her!


  1. Sooo glad your mom will be giving you company! And you can still go to your shower! Love you Linds!

  2. Have a great baby shower.

    Having been in your situation before be careful of having any sodium...frozen or processed foods, sodas, etc.

    You're on your left side now but if/when you return to work figure out a way to keep your feet evaluated at work and when you come home at night keep them evaluated above your heart for a while every night.

    It's so great that your bp and proteins are normal but I remember how uncomfortable that swelling is.


  3. Ahh bummer, I hate that you are on bed rest. Hopefully a few days of best rest will do the trick for you though and you'll get a good report at your next doctor's appointment. We are getting so close!!!

  4. This is so adorable! I'm a new follower :)


Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

Blogger Template By Designer Blogs