Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sausage Bagels

I've posted a picture of these sausage bagels on Instagram several times and have had numerous requests for the recipe. So I decided to share it here as well. These are simply delicious. Lady (my mom) has been making them since I was a little girl. They are so easy to throw together and then you just keep them in the freezer until you are ready to bake them. They're perfect to have on hand around the holidays, when company is visiting, when your kids have sleepovers. Or just on a regular Tuesday morning alongside your cup of coffee with pumpkin spice creamer. Enjoy!


Start by getting a bag of just regular plain bagels. I usually use the Sara Lee brand but these were Thomas I believe. Split the bagels in half and pinch out the insides leaving the "shell" in tact. 


With your hands, break up the pieces of bagel that you pinched out into smaller pieces. They don't need to be bread crumbs but they do need to be small. Like this.


Then add 1 pound of breakfast sausage (this was regular Jimmy Dean) and 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese. For just about everything I use blocks of cheese and shred it myself. But with this, the pre-
shredded stuff works perfectly.


Then, again with your hands, mix everything together. It is impossible to use a spoon for this and I guess if you are against using your hands you could always use a mixer or something but why dirty up something else?


Then stuff the mixture into the bagel shells. Without fail I always have 1 bagel at the end without any stuffing so I have to go through all the other bagels to pinch a little off here and there and it works out perfectly. 


So once you get all of the bagels stuffed, put them in a single layer on a baking sheet, cover tightly with foil and put them in the FREEZER. Once they're frozen solid remove them from the baking sheet and store in gallon size freezer bags. When you are ready to eat them, take them out of the bag (however many you need) and put them on a baking sheet and bake them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely making these! Yum! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so just pinned this and plan on making these soon! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs