Monday, November 10, 2008

Rigatoni with Mushrooms

Very rarely do I actually make something that is vegetarian. But this is vegetarian (note I did not say vegan.) I love mushrooms. They're fabulous! The mushrooms create a meaty element and the mascarpone and Parmesan cheeses make this slightly creamy pasta heavenly.

**Here is my disclaimer/soapbox: Use the good stuff. I'm talking about Parmigiano Reggiano, fresh garlic and mascarpone cheese. And don't ever use cooking wine. Even if you don't drink wine. Use something that you would drink if you did drink wine. Thank you.Ok on to the good stuff. Here are my thoughts on the ingredients: Vegetable stock, Rigatoni pasta (I prefer this kind..use whatever makes your skirt fly up), cremini mushrooms (also called baby portabellas or baby bellas), Parmesan (use the real stuff please! I promise it makes all the difference in the world!), shallots, garlic (I like a lot but by all means, if you can’t handle that much garlic, use what you like), mascarpone cheese (Seriously, try this stuff. It is amazing. Similar to cream cheese except not tangy. You’ll love it. I promise.), fresh chives. Oh and white wine which is not pictured. Opps! If you prefer not to use wine when cooking then use extra vegetable stock.
Rigatoni with Mushrooms
1 pound rigatoni pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound cremini mushrooms
½ cup white wine
½ cup vegetable stock
1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan
chopped fresh chives
First things first, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add a handful of salt (I use kosher, always) Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Please don’t over cook the pasta. There’s nothing worse than overcooked pasta…well maybe overcooked garlic. Burned garlic is just gross.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic to the pan. Cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Next, add the mushrooms to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Turn the heat to high. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan and cook for 3 minutes until almost all the liquid evaporates. Add the stock and simmer until liquid is reduced by at least half. Remove the pan from the heat and add the mascarpone cheese. Stir until the mascarpone is mixed in and it’s nice and creamy. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water, and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the mushroom mixture and the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss well to coat pasta, adding the reserved pasta water, if needed, if the pasta is too thick. Garnish with the chopped chives. And gosh darnit, enjoy because it is heavenly!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lindsay! I love your blog! This looks so good! I always order a dish just like this at my favorite Italian place, only it's spicy. I can't wait to try your version!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I love to read what you have to say about my little blog!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs